Speech therapy for children as well as adults is a clinical program to improve speech and language skills. Children who are able to speak may work to make their speech clearer or build language skills.
Children who are not able to speak properly may learn sign language, or how to use special equipment.
The ultimate outcome of speech therapy is to improve communication skill in children as well as adults which include,
- Improving coordination of the speech muscles through strengthening and coordination exercises, sound repetition and imitation.
- Improving communication between the brain and the body through visual and auditory aids.
- Improving fluency through breathing exercises.
- Enhancing the learning of language through language stimulation.
- Improving communication which includes gestures, signing or augmentative communication devices.
At Arizona Centers for Comprehensive Education and Life Skills, we use speech therapy programs depending on the child’s particular challenges and abilities.